Saturday, October 31, 2009

4 a.m. friends

Last night will likely go down in my history as one of the worst nights ever.

After my parade shift ended at 10:30, two of my friends and I headed over to an Adventureland cast member Halloween party. I was the designated driver, so I spent the evening eating cookies and watching the other cast members in their drunken glory. Several hours and several rounds of spin the bottle later, (I did not play for obvious reasons), it was 4 a.m. and I was ready to go home.

The two guys and I walked to the Target parking lot I had parked in, only to find out that my car was towed. And it was 4 a.m. And I was the only one who had not been drinking. And we had no phone number of anyone left at the party to let us back inside the warm apartment. And all of our roommates were asleep and unable to come get us.

One of the guys jumped the fence at the apartment complex and we went back inside. We hung around for a while until one of the girls was sober enough to drive us home, and then the icing on the cake: we had to listen to country music on the way back. The night could not have gotten any worse.

Needless to say, I didn't sleep all night because I was worried about my car. I spent the morning calling the Police Department and towing service until they helped me out. Both of the guys had their car keys in there, and all three of us had left our things for work: Cast IDs, locks, costumes, etc.

Thank God for Rex, who dropped everything and brought me to the towing place. He refused to let a blonde, white female go by bus by herself to Garden Grove, CA to pick up a car. I love him. It's times like these when you learn who your true friends are. He is truly one of those people you could call at 4 a.m. if you ever needed anything.

I am so grateful to have him in my life, but I miss my Oregon friends dearly. Last night made me realize just how much I have back home. Had this happened in Oregon, there would have been so many people I could have called at 4 a.m. to come pick me up from a random Target parking lot. Or who would have offered to take me to the towing company. I felt so far away from everyone. Not a good start to Halloween.

And my roommates and I spent tons of money on these great Alice in Wonderland themed costumes, with lots of different details, and Jenny is sick and I'm not really in the mood to go to any more parties any time soon. This was just not one of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment