Monday, August 23, 2010

Maaslow and Chapman are pretty smart dudes

Maaslow is a philosopher explaining a hierarchy of needs that each person has in order to grow emotionally. As an Elementary Education major, this kinda philosophy stuff was thrown at us in almost every class. It's kind of important to understand things how to make our students feel secure. They're all at different stages in their hierarchy of needs.

This summer, I've been trying to stay updated in my pedagogy philosophy, and a fellow teacher suggested I read The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It turns out, he's got several different versions of the book - The Five Love Languages, The Five Love Languages for Children, and The Five Love Languages for Singles. In the books, he talks about different ways to express your love to meet the needs of the other person. (Basically, he explores the idea that not everyone has the same preference for how to be loved - some prefer words of affirmation, others gifts, some quality time, others acts of service, still others prefer physical touch. The moral is, everyone should feel loved and we should consider the individuals' style when trying to express our love for them.)

Anyways, I came across a quote that I thought was really true and thought-provoking. I wanted to share it somewhere, so here you go:

"Our most basic emotional need is not to fall in love but to be genuinely loved by another, to know a love that grows out of reason and choice, not instinct. I need to be loved by someone who chooses to love me, who sees in me something worth living."

I thought this was true in relationships as well as family settings.

Huh. Turns out Disney wasn't too far off when promoting those fairy tale relationships...

No comments:

Post a Comment