Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Just my luck.

Whew! Who knew it took so much organization to go to another state for a semester?

In an attempt to make the best use of my remaining insurance coverage from HSD, and prepare for a semester in California, I've been busy with several doctors appointments and miscellaneous errands. And it never goes as planned.

First the doctor's appointment. This was meant to be just a check-up. I had a vitamin deficiency in the past and wanted to make sure I was set to work 8 hours a day, standing in hot weather. When I showed up - after getting lost finding the new building my doctor moved into - they asked me to change into a hospital gown. 'For a check-up?!' I clarified. The doctor explained to me that she had let me get away with not having a proper physical examination as an adult yet. This was something that was supposed to happen when I was 21. So against my will, I was forced to experience my first-ever grown-up doctor's examination. Didn't see that coming. Not fun. On the bright side, my vitamin deficiency is now under control, and I was referred to a chiropractor for the back pain I have been complaining about for years.

Next the dentist. I should tell you that I have gone to the same dentist my entire life. It's a small office and everyone knows everyone. When I told them I had switched insurance when I was hired by HSD, they gave me an awkward look and informed me that they don't take that insurance. It was embarrassing. And when I showed up at the new place that afternoon (4 p.m. on a Friday) they were not too happy to see me. The lady who made my appointment had not told anyone, and I showed up at the end of their day: a surprise new patient with paperwork to fill out, etc.

Finally, the chiropractor. I feel silly admitting to this - I'm too young to go to a chiropractor, right?! Here's the funny thing: She told me I was the worst case of a 20-something-year-old patient she has ever seen. She was surprised I had lasted this long before coming to see her. (I fell off a horse, then proceeded to be stepped on by said horse when I was eight years old. I never knew my back wasn't supposed to hurt that badly.) It turns out, one of my ribs was turned 180 degrees in the wrong direction, and my muscles have grown around it. Long story short - she had some serious work to do. I left her office feeling much more flexible than I've ever felt, but also in more pain. And I have to go back Friday for more.

Today I gave my final presentation in my summer grad class. Somehow the topic of my great-grandfather's ticket to the Titanic came up, and my professor made me share the story in the middle of my presentation. Random, but I got an A, so I won't complain.

Happy Hour with the girls after class today was cancelled because of the insanely hot weather. I was pretty bummed about that. I look forward to the social time. Even if I do usually end up the designated driver.

On the way home from class, my brother called to ask me for a ride to the airport. He's going to Vegas with his girlfriend of two days. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I hadn't been looking for a travel buddy for the last several months to come to Vegas with me. He was fully aware of this, too. His excuse was that it's the girlfriend's birthday. I pointed out that I asked him to come with me for my birthday and I ended up spending my birthday by myself. I just need to find a good travel buddy. I'm tired of going places by myself. No one seems to last more than one vacation with me - maybe I should take a hint... (It's most likely because I'm cheap and I don't stay in the super-fancy hotels and such.)

And tomorrow: Coffee date with Shallow Coffee and Coffee Mom!!! I can't wait! I love those two, and I especially love seeing my two little kinders that are now first graders. Weird to think they will have a different teacher very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment