Thursday, June 18, 2009

It's not goodbye - it's see you later.

As predicted, the morning was filled with several tears and nostalgia. I met the other kinder teachers for breakfast and we exchanged gifts. Shelly spoiled me with a book of inspirational teacher quotes, with one circled because it reminded her of me. She also gave me a gift certificate to have a nice dinner...now I just need to find a boy to accompany me! ;) Jody wrote me the most heartfelt card and gave me one of the WillowTree Angels - which I have received as a gift during every pivotal moment of my life thus far. Weird how that happens...

*On a side note, my class (and their parents) gave me a signed class picture - which was absolutely PERFECT because I have one from the class I student taught as well. I think I see a tradition coming on.

It was extra sad today because Jody knows she won't be teaching again. She was retired and came back - so she's not planning to continue searching for a job. And I must say, it was an absolute honor to teach with that woman. Hillsboro School District is stupid for letting her get away.

I turned in my key and ID badge - which was more emotionally draining than I had anticipated. The principal couldn't handle the tear fest, so he left the room and I never got a proper goodbye from him.

Oh, and after leaving my classroom for the last time I went to say goodbye in the office. Two ladies couldn't even look at me without crying. And after I told the first grade teacher standing in the office to 'Take good care of my kids,' there was not a dry eye in the place.

This is strange for me. Never before in my life - honestly! - have I ever cried in public. Ever. And these past few weeks have been filled with tears - both mine and others' as a result of me. What is WRONG with me?! I swear World, I don't mean to make people burst into tears when they see me. And when they do, it's hard for me to stay composed. Ugh.

But I continued my day at University of Portland, doing the cleaning gig. It's not glamorous, but it pays - and it helped me get my mind off of my recent unemployment status.

Tomorrow I go back to UP to fill in at one of the offices. I just hope I don't burst into tears again when I drive past the school.

P.S. I really hope I can get the peppy, optimistic Alley back soon. Where have you gone, my friend?!

No comments:

Post a Comment