Thursday, March 4, 2010

80s Prom at Disney

The Westside Attractions crew organized an 80s Prom for all the cast members who work on the westside.

I started to talk about the decorations just now, but let's be honest: you KNOW you're more interested in the outfits! :) My prom date Josh (aka Peewee Herman) and I went shopping in the vintage area of Huntington Beach for our outfits. Unfortunately, we didn't find very much. But we pulled these two outfits together at the last minute. Josh's bowtie and jacket are both from a vintage store. My jumper and metallic shoes are from Target, leg warmers from my asian roommate, and earrings and bangle bracelet from a vintage store. I am in love with side ponytails and want to wear one every day.

Now that we've got the outfits covered, let's talk about the event. They went ALL out with decorations and costumes, and each attraction had a food table to decorate.

Jungle Cruise won third place with Trader Sam's Cannibal Cafe, complete with Jungle Water for a beverage.
One of the lead's sister made Tiki cupcakes for us.
Another lead's wife made a red velvet cake frosted like a zebra, and topped with lions eating the zebra to look like the scence in the African Veldt of the Jungle.
And Shawna made Ginger Snaps and placed them inside a crocodile named Ginger's mouth.

And my other attraction, Indiana Jones, won first place! We were celebrating our 15th birthday as an attraction yesterday, and I think that had a lot to do with it.
Here is our chocolate fountain in front of Mara, complete with a treasure chest full of birthday badges for the attraction, glow bracelets, and candy necklaces.
I would like to give Fantasmic! honorable mention anyway for their amazing Murphy the Dragon cake and 'plug juice' refreshments. They even had their table roped off in perfect guest control style.
One of my favorite decorations of the night was the school logo. For those of you who are not Disney cast members, an e-stop is the emergency stop button on faster attractions that is highly anticipated and very rarely used. This sign made me laugh.

After enjoying all of the food, they had arranged to shuttle us to Tomorrowland for a special showing of Captain EO, the classic Michael Jackson 3D adventure that was recently brought back from the 80s. It was the first time I'd seen it, and it was just as tacky/fabulous as I thought it would be...especially since we were all rockin' our 80s outfits.

Once we returned to the dance after Captain EO, things were pretty slow, so my prom date Josh and I, along with Randall and Andrew, took our tacky outfits (even though Randall came straight from work and was still wearing his train costume) to T.G.I.Friday's for some real food. The look on everyone's face when they saw us - especially a very convincing Peewee Herman look-a-like - was priceless.

Too much fun! Probably more fun than the real prom!

No comments:

Post a Comment