
On Monday I went to Universal Studios with my friends from Oregon. Even though it was a school holiday, we didn't really have to wait in any lines because it was raining most of the day and pretty cold as well.
I was surprised to learn that Universal only has about three attractions, and one was down. We rode the Simpsons ride once, the Mummy ride twice, and saw a few shows - Backdraft, Shrek 4D, and a Special Effects show. My favorite was the Backlot Tour that showed all of the movie and tv sets. After seeing those shows and spending a lot of money on food, we called it a day. We were soaked and cold. It was fun, though! I'm glad I went - however, I don't know that I'll need to go back any time soon... :0)

The weather in southern California has been crazy these last few days. It has been pouring rain every day - and while in Oregon it wouldn't seem any different than any other day, California is not prepared for it. Especially a theme park. There are no drains anywhere, and the water just sits. There are very few covered areas, and lots of machines exposed to the elements. Jungle Cruise has had to close down every day after the water level gets too high. The boats start to derail, and the dock was even completely underwater. Backstage, we had to set up planks to get back and forth from the computer we clock in with. On Monday, there were even ducks swimming down Main Street. Not standing - there was actually enough water for them to paddle. I've worked the Tiki Room the past two days - standing out in the rain, answering the same question over and over: 'What is this?'
I shouldn't be complaining, though. Since my internship is over, my hours have dropped significantly. They give me an average of two four-hour shifts a week. I do my best to pick up others' shifts and call in to see if anyone has called out sick. I've been able to maintain 40 hours a week - they have just been the crappy shifts that no one else wants. For example, tomorrow I have to open the Jungle in the rain. Whoo hoo. But hey, at least it pays the bills...
I'm a little anxious about my birthday. I know I'm going to be homesick being away from my family, and several of my really close friends are traveling this weekend. But I am planning to spend the day with my roommates, and I think it will turn out just fine. :0)
Also, my brother, sister-in-law, twin nieces, nephew, aunt, and dad are coming in February!!!!! I'm SOOOOO excited! I wish it was February already!

No comments:
Post a Comment