Wednesday, April 11, 2012

"Self-Employed"

The other day I spent a significant amount of time deleting the majority of my high school friends from my Facebook account. Why? Because I didn't want them to know that I do not yet have my own classroom to teach in.

When my (amazing) boyfriend found out about this, he was very disappointed in me for being ashamed of substitute teaching. He reminded me how much versatility, patience, and humility my current job takes. He told me he was proud of me and confident I would be where I wanted to be in my career someday. He recognizes substitutes sometimes have to work harder than regular classroom teachers. [He's become such a rock for me on my journey to a career in teaching. He has never faltered in making me feel successful as an individual - even though I don't even have a job. I'm sure I wouldn't make it through some days without him.]

I only wish I felt as confident when people ask me what I'm "up to." Having had a classroom before, I can't feel a sense of pride in sharing about my substitute teaching. I've gone backwards in my professional development journey.

I know I am not the only one who is less-than-proud of their status as a substitute teacher. Just a few days ago, I met a couple who were both substitute teachers. I didn't know this right away, however. They introduced themselves as being 'self-employed' when the topic of jobs came up. At first I didn't realize what they meant, but when I shared I was a substitute teacher, they confessed to using 'self-employed' as a way to avoid discussion about their [lack of] teaching career.

If the rest of the world viewed substitute teachers through the same lens as my boyfriend, our outlook might be a little different. As it is now, this is not the case. Substitutes are often overlooked or looked down upon. I once overheard a specials teacher saying 'Oh, no wonder the class is so out of control today - they have a sub.' This told me he assumed no substitute teachers had classroom management skills or ability to maintain control. Even wikipedia points out "standards are often lower for short-term substitutes teachers." Why can't we be held to the same standards and receive the same amount of respect?

I know, I shouldn't care what other people think. Especially my Facebook friends from high school. But I'm human. I just want to feel a sense of pride in what I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment