Yesterday I got a personal phone call from a teacher looking for a substitute. (I love these - much more pleasant than talking to a computer over the phone to get your assignment.)
I have never subbed for this particular teacher before, but I have asked her questions and visited with her in the lunchroom at her school, so she sort of knew who I was when she called.
On the phone, she gave me a brief idea of what the day would be like, but did something totally different than any other teacher I have subbed for before...She asked me if there was any activity of my own I would like to try with her class. I was shocked. Being in Grad School, I am constantly listening to all of these great ideas, but have no class of my own to try them out. My response must have seemed pretty funny to her. I was very excited and immediately told her 'Yes! I would LOVE some time to do an activity with your class!' (Other than the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-time-killer I usually have to implement when the teacher's notes call for an activity of my own at the last minute.)
Not that she cared to know, but I excitedly shared my idea with her while she assured me she would leave some time in her plans for it. (And how great for her - a chunk of time where she does not have to prepare anything for me! Why don't more teachers tell their substitutes about these opportunities ahead of time?!)
I told her how much I appreciated the chance to teach my own lesson - something I planned, prepared, and followed-through with all on my own.
She explained that she used to be a substitute teacher too.
She gets it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment