Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Can of Worms

After the past couple of weeks, I do not want to see another doctor's office, emergency room, or hospital bed for a VERY long time.

It started out when I finally got health insurance as a result of the long-term sub job I got in February. I became eligible in June, so I took advantage of it and made appointments for eye exams, teeth cleaning, chiropractic adjustments, and a doctor's exam.

I had been dealing with a painful and embarrassing ingrown toenail for months, and I asked the doctor to take care of it for me while I had insurance. Unfortanately, I had waited so long to do something about it that the infection had spread up to my knee and required a week of intense antibiotics before she would even touch it.

When I went back to have it removed, she found three skin lesions that needed to be removed via biopsy and a cyst that needed to be drained. Ugh. I had opened the can of worms.

Surprisingly, the toe operation was the least of my worries. I had NO idea how painful the biopsies were going to be. With all of the pain and discomfort they caused, I hardly noticed my toe at all.

During my days of uncomfortable healing to follow, my dad went to the emergency room for a kidney stone. They gave him pain medicine and sent him home to pass it on his own.

The next morning, my mom woke me up in a panic to get him to the ER again - something else was wrong with my dad and she didn't know what. They discovered his heart rate was severely low and his kidney was dehydrated and not functioning correctly, so they admitted him to the hospital. The next two and a half days stretched on forever.

It was a scary thing. Lots of thoughts running through my head, lots of understanding and help from the people I work for, lots of family around, and lots of waiting.

On Sunday afternoon, he was sent him after passing the kidney stone. His heart rate was slowly returning to a safe place and his kidney was on the mend. Thank goodness.

Now I want to be done with medical issues for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment