Monday, January 17, 2011

Ending Poem

Tonight, for our first class of the semester, the professor paired us up to complete the inevitable 'Get To Know You' activity. The class is regarding cultural diversity as it relates to the classroom, so the task was to write an ending poem describing our culture. I was paired with another substitute teacher. Here were the results:

I Am a Substitute Teacher

I am still a teacher.
I am capable of educating our youth.

5 a.m. phone calls are my alarm clock and my food for the month.
Simple bribes are my means of survival and I couldn't do without 5 minute time-fillers.

I am not 'Someone Else' for the day - I am myself.
I cannot memorize 30 names in two minutes, but I can command the room in 30 seconds.

I am done after 8 hours and free of parents, planning, and paperwork.
I am a necessary and vital member of the school community, even when I am not recognized as such.

I am not less of a teacher because I don't return to the same classroom each day or have a mailbox with my name on it.
I am not less of a professional because students don't always know my name or because I can't find the gym.

I am still a teacher.

By Bethany and Alley, ED 581, 1.17.2011

No comments:

Post a Comment