Wednesday, January 26, 2011

All I Need For Now

I'll be completely honest. As of last Tuesday the 18th, I withdrew from Grad School feeling completely disheartened about teaching as a career. I couldn't justify spending thousands of dollars towards a job that will likely not be available for another eight years. [I should also mention that the class I attended on the Monday evening before was filled with undergrads who have not even student taught yet and the school just added the four of us Grad Students to the class because they had nowhere else to put us. The only difference for the Grad students was that we would be doing more research for the final project. Not the education I was expecting for the money I was paying.]

After some conversations with some important people in my life, I had decided that I would take a hiatus from pursuing the teaching path and find something else to pay the bills. I knew I couldn't sub any longer. It was making me hate the job and that's not the taste I wanted in my mouth when I left. I was ready to focus on an office job or trying to get more hours at the Disney Store. I even thought about trying out some writing or wedding coordinating - two of my other passions.

On Thursday morning, I got a phone call from the principal at the school I used to work in. He was calling to tell me that one of the second grade teachers had to leave due to a family emergency and wanted to offer me a long-term sub job for the remainder of the school year - teaching some of the same kiddos I had for kindergarten two years previously. (This is THE BEST news a substitute teacher could ever hear.)

I hate that I am taking over the position for such a sad reason, but I am very grateful for the opportunity.

I believe that everything happens for a reason and this chance will be a perfect way for me to give teaching another shot. I know that it's VERY unlikely that it will end up in a contracted teaching position for the next school year because the budget looks pretty bad, but I am just happy to be working in a school I like with a staff who has been like a family to me and students I have seen grow over the past few years.

For now, I have all I need. :0) God is good.

1 comment: