Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Could Really Use a Wish Right Now

(Like the lyrics of the song 'Airplanes' - not to be emo. I just LOVE that song...specifically the lyrics 'Can we pretend that airplanes in the night sky are like shooting stars? I could really use a wish right now...')

It's been a while, but I thought I should update my blog.

So, my dad flew down to California to drive with me back up to Oregon. Knowing that I didn't want to leave, he decided to make a trip out of it. We had a very personalized agenda, taking into account my life-long fascination with castles and haunted things.

First stop: Hearst Castle. It was cool, but my favorite part was the study, where William Hearst was said to have met with Walt Disney to negotiate the price of running Walt's Mickey Mouse cartoons in his papers. I was a little partial to this part of the tour. :)

Oh, I forgot to mention the sunburn I got while waiting for the bus to take us up to the castle. That's going to be cute when I'm a bridesmaid at my cousin's wedding in July.

The next day, we stopped at the Winchester Mystery House - a place I have wanted to visit since the second I heard about it. They wouldn't let me take pictures. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed. I was expecting lots of weird and spooky things. But I think the combination of our less-than-enthusiastic tour guide and super annoying members in our tour group ruined the experience for me. Maybe I'll go back someday on Friday the 13th or Halloween for the Haunted Tour.

We also stopped in San Francisco. I'd been there before, but it was on the way and worth stopping. My only goal? A coffee from Ghiradelli Square. Mission accomplished.

At this point, I was already missing my Disney family like crazy and wanting nothing more than to turn the car around and go right back. (My poor dad - I was kicking and screaming the whole way home.) I begged him to let me take a slight detour to stop for dinner at my new favorite place - Chick-Fil-A. It was a little out of the way, but he agreed (probably just to shut me up). It was bitter-sweet. I knew it would be my last Chick-Fil-A for a while. I tried very hard to look happy.

We decided to keep driving when we hit Grants Pass, OR and just continue all the way home. That meant me getting home one day earlier than I planned.

It's been strange being here. Not much has changed. The hardest part is knowing that I'm missing out on a lot of things in California - the World of Color premiere, lots and lots of summer hours at Disney (including overtime), and my friends.

I came back to look for a classroom to teach in and to take summer classes for grad school. But no one is hiring in Oregon, and I can't afford to take all of the classes I was hoping to take. I'm currently unemployed, living with my parents, and missing my California life BIG TIME. I could really use a wish right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment