Tuesday, May 22, 2012

I'm one of the lucky ones.

As much as I complain about substitute teaching, I want to make sure my readers understand I know how truly lucky I am to be in the position I am in.


I may not have a classroom of my own just yet, but at least I have a school where I feel 'at home.' A lot of substitute teachers are people who have never had a chance to have their own class, or go through the school year with the same staff. They have not found a school where they feel comfortable and have students they have built a rapport with. I have been blessed with all of these privileges.


I was fortunate enough to have taught one and half years in a classroom at Ladd Acres, as well as endless hours as a sub there and I could not be more grateful for the family I have found through the experience.


My students are amazing. I lucked out and got to spend an extra half of a year with my first ever class. (My first-year teaching class of kindergartners needed a long-term sub last year when they were in second grade.) The families I have come to know and build friendships with are AMAZING. I enjoy every coffee date, text message, and visit I have with them. I even have one former student who still remembers me on holidays like Valentine's Day and Easter even though I am no longer his classroom teacher! Just last week, he and his family knew I was in need of some cheering up and surprised me with a treat and card for no reason other than to wish me a great day. These are good people.


Even little things like today's scenario make me feel like I belong (something that the substitute lifestyle sometimes lacks - a sense of belonging). This is Teacher Appreciation Week, and the PTO had a coffee cart at the school to make the teachers all their own favorite drink. Even though I am only a substitute this year, they insisted I be included and treated me to the most delicious caramel white mocha I have ever tasted. And it meant so much to me to be included.


But the most humbling reminder of how blessed I am came when I needed it the most. A couple of months ago, while subbing for a teacher at Ladd, I could tell something was wrong. I lost vision in one eye for about 20 minutes and started feeling lightheaded. [Embarrassingly enough, it was only a migraine. Since I had never experienced one before, I did not know the symptoms.] Long story short, my Ladd family was so concerned about me that they drove me to the emergency room and waited with me until my dad could make it. Though I was so grateful that I was surrounded by people who loved me, I was sick with worry about the bills I would have to pay for an emergency room visit without insurance - with an MRI!! I knew I couldn't afford to pay the enormous bill that was headed my way AND pay for the last two semesters of Grad School at the same time.


Then one day when I was subbing at Ladd, one of the teachers came in and handed me an envelope. Inside was a check for enough money to cover the entire summer's worth of medical bills so I could use all my income during that time to pay for Grad School. The staff at Ladd insisted "We take care of our own." I had no words.


The worry I had felt about my financial situation and the doubt I had about my ability to finish Grad School on time were completely lifted. But I think the most significant thing I realized after processing what had happened - the generosity and genuine love from my Ladd family - was that I am not alone. Even though I do not have a mailbox or class of my own, Ladd still considers me family.


Unfortunately, the job situation for next year is not looking any brighter. The chances they will hire new teachers are low. The reality is that I will most likely be substitute teaching again in the Fall. This is not something I look forward to. I am desperate to get a class of my own. But knowing I have a family at Ladd makes the idea of another year in limbo much less daunting.


Thank you, Ladd family. I don't think you will ever know how much you mean to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment