
I recently went to a girls' lunch with some friends from UP. They were all women I worked with while acting as a Student Worker for Campus Ministry, and they have all had significant impacts on my life in different ways.
One of the women told us what had happened to her husband Josh earlier that morning.
Being Campus Ministry Staff himself, Josh was preparing to go on the retreat taking place over the weekend. His job was to pick up the U-Haul for the students' luggage. While trading his bag from his own vehicle to the U-Haul, he set it down outside while he went inside to get the keys and sign the papers. During this time, his bags were in clear view of where he was standing inside the store. But when he went outside, his bag was gone. Upon reviewing the security cameras, they discovered a transient had come by and swiped the rolling duffel bag, taking off down the street at a fast pace. Josh drove the U-Haul up and down the streets in town looking for his bag (containing everything he needed for a weekend retreat in the wilderness - sleeping bag, hiking boots, rain coat, books, flashlight). It was gone for good.
I'll stop here to admit that, had this happened to me, I would be very upset. Likely to the point that it would ruin my entire day, if not the entire weekend retreat. I would focus on the fact that I no longer had my comfort items with me to help last through the weekend trip. Honestly, I would probably grumble about it the whole weekend too.
But not Josh. His perspective? The bag he lost that day was the perfect survival kit for someone living on the streets. Something to keep them warm and dry. They obviously needed it a lot worse than he did. And he was about due for a new winter coat, anyways.
If only we could all be like Josh. Find the silver lining in situations like these.

No comments:
Post a Comment