I tend to have some strange thoughts early in the morning - and today was no exception. As I was driving to class in the wee hours of the morning, I started thinking about the similarities and differences of the two parking lots I've spent a great deal of time in lately. One of which being the Katella Cast Member parking lot at Disney (K-Lot), the other being the parking lot at University of Portland.
Here are the main differences:
Parking
K-Lot: Big parking spots, but never any available. I usually had to circle around at least twice, or follow the shuttle and stalk the people once they got off in order to steal their spot when they got to their car.
UP: Narrow lanes with super skinny parking spaces. The speed bumps are absolutely necessary, considering the crazy pedestrians that run out in front of you in their attempt to make it to class on time.
Transportation
K-Lot: The option to catch a shuttle to take you to the Cast Member entrance to the park. Granted, if you're running late it seems like it takes forever, but it's nice that we don't have to walk all the way over to the resort.
UP: If you get a good parking spot, it's fast enough to walk to class. But if you get stuck with a parking spot in Siberia, or worse - off of Portsmouth somewhere on the outskirts of campus, it can be quite a hike to make it to class on time.
Social Life
K-Lot: Cast Members remain at the shuttle stops for HOURS after their shift is over, visiting with everyone. Tail-Gate parties have been known to happen. Some people even stay so late, they decide to sleep in their car rather than drive home and try to return the next day in time for their opening shift.
UP: I don't think I've ever seen anyone visiting in the UP parking lot. Ever.
Feng Shui
K-Lot: Most of the cars have some sort of Disneyland license plate cover, bumper sticker, or stuffed animal in the back window. Some even have clever personalized license plates.
UP: There are several cars from out-of-state, but almost every single one has some sort of UP memorabilia - either a bumper sticker, license plate cover, or purple and white pom pom hanging from the rear view mirror.
(My car has a single 'Portland Pilots' sticker and the Disneyland parking hang tag in my rear view mirror to represent both of my loves.)
Etiquette
K-Lot: Drive as fast as you can, steal the spot if you get there even a split second sooner, and wave at all of your friends at the shuttle stop as you pass by.
UP: Drive slowly to account for the bike riders and pedestrians that continue to appear out of nowhere and avoid eye contact with anyone you see. The people worth talking to are NOT driving - they all live on campus and walk to class.
Volume Appropriateness
K-Lot: It is totally acceptable, and often expected to have music blaring as you tear through the lanes of parking.
UP: Considering the very likely chances of passing a priest or two on your way around campus, most people opt out of blasting their music until they are on Willamette Blvd. (Unless you're Colton - in which case, you put the top down and turn up the music while you're still in the parking garage.)
Attire
K-Lot: It is not unusual to see a space ranger, cowboy, archaeologist, and/or crazy scientist while looking for a parking spot. Most times, you're wearing a ridiculous costume, too.
UP: Though it's very rare that you will see a person in costume, UP has it's fair share of variety in parking lot attire ranging from: sweats and pajama pants, professional look, jeans and UP t-shirts, crazy purple body paint or wigs for games, or even black ensembles with Roman collars.
Gifts on the Windshield
K-Lot: Love notes. Funny little things to say 'Hi' or 'I was thinking of you' or 'Have a good night'
UP: Twigs left under the windshield wipers by Villans. :) Or ice on the windshield on the mornings when I was running late to student teaching.
Moral of the story: I appreciate the little things.
This is why I probably shouldn't have to function before 8 a.m. - extemporaneous thought processes. But I'm not sorry.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment