Valentine's Day is one of my least favorite days of the year. I refer to it as Single's Awareness Day, and usually try to avoid being in places where I have to watch other people celebrate with their significant others.
This year, I was scheduled to work at Disney - which I was alright with. If I didn't work, I'd be staying at home watching my roommates celebrate with their boyfriends and feeling like the awkward third wheel. The day didn't turn out to be so bad, after all. In fact, it was probably one of the most memorable Valentine's Days I've had. (Second only to last year, when I got to throw my very first Valentine's Day party with my kindergarten class and had 19 of the cutest little Valentines since sliced bread.)
After my weekly Sunday morning Starbucks run, I got a phone call from Randall inviting me to lunch. Afterwards, he even let me watch the Ghost Adventures episode he had recorded for me on his TiVo while I was killing time before heading to Disney.
I headed to the Jungle to work my night shift, only to be surprised by my friend Josh - who had come with a thimble in hand for me. Yes, a thimble. We have a shared love of Peter Pan and everything related to it, so when Josh handed me the thimble and said it was a Valentines kiss, I knew exactly what he meant. In the story of Peter Pan, Wendy promises to give Peter a kiss and since he doesn't know what a kiss is, he thinks it is the thimble Wendy places in his hand. I thought this was one of the cutest gifts I've ever receieved - personalized and thoughtful. Thank you Josh! :0)
After work, my friend Garrett asked me to wait for him before I headed to the Cast Member Shuttle to take us to our cars in the Cast Member parking lot. He showed up with a bouquet of roses for me!! He had asked me a couple of days before who my Valentine was, and when I said I didn't have one asked if he could be mine. (Strictly as friends, mind you - I don't want any of you back home to get too excited. My love life is still pretty non-existant here. :P)
And when I finally got to my car in the parking lot, there was a note on my windshield from yet another guy friend at Disney that read 'Have a good night, Pretty Eyes.' It made me smile.
Even though I didn't have a specific significant other to celebrate the day with, so many of the important guys in my life took care of me and made sure it was a special day. I felt very loved. :0)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment